How to select a responsible Junk Removal business

When looking to hire a junk hauling company, why does it matter how they will take care of my trash and junk? Well, allow us to explain!
Like with any other company you chose to do work at your home or business, there are several important factors to consider when hiring a junk removal company. You want to select a company that is licensed, pays taxes, offers workers benefits, and gives back to the community. The junk removal business is one of the easiest businesses to get a start in, all you need is a few hundred dollars to purchase a used pickup truck and $20 for a can of paint to put your name and contact information on the side of the truck. For this reason, there are many different kinds of irresponsible individuals who get in this very rigorous business, and you want to make sure you are able to recognize the true professionals.

Illegal, non-licensed drive by and “Home Depot” type haulers are very likely to dump your trash on the street! That’s why they can work at such a cheap rate. Also, these people have no traceable address and it’s extremely difficult to hold them responsible for illegal dumping, which is a serious problem in our cities. It costs taxpayers millions of dollars to deal with the ongoing problem. Often times the police will sift the illegally dumped trash for an address and come back to present the proprietor with a large bill for the cleanup. These illegal haulers will not refuse to haul hazardous paints and chemicals, which may be dumped on the street or in a landfill; such a problem is commons in area like Richmond, CA which is close to the Bay of San Francisco. The paints and chemicals find their way into the Bay waters, becoming a dangerous threat to marine life and the entire Bay Area environment.
Demand to see companies’ license and insurance; also ask for references whenever possible. Pick a company with prominent advertising and a traceable address. Also it is always preferable to pick a locally owned and operated company. For example, it would be much easier for the inhabitants of Richmond or the San Francisco Bay Area to check the credentials and deal with a San Francisco junk removal company.

It's usually easy to tell the good ones by the look of the trucks too!

Also, there are many new junk franchise type operations that pay $30,000-$50,000 for a new franchise and have to get this initial franchise costs paid for ASAP. Locally owned & operated companies can always give you a better price.
Ask for an up front quote for the work. Don’t do business with a company that adds on weight or labor charges after the job is completed. Lastly, don’t do business with a company who places illegal ad signs on chain link fences and telephone poles. These are usually franchise operations that do not care about the blight they cause in our neighborhoods. The removal costs of these illegal signs are put on us, the taxpayers.

By |2012-03-10T21:35:48+00:00February 16th, 2012|About Fast Haul, Recycling|

15 Comments

1. junk removal February 22, 2012 at 6:03 am - Reply

nice stuff and nice advice about how to select a responsible junk removal business.

2. Lincoln Junk Services April 9, 2012 at 2:53 am - Reply

You have to choose a company that recycles and donates. NO EXCEPTIONS!

• David April 16, 2012 at 5:54 am - Reply

We couldn’t agree more!

• Junk Dawgs December 31, 2012 at 9:47 pm - Reply

I like the contrast between the two trucks, good effect!

3. Junk Removal Indianapolis May 29, 2012 at 7:44 pm - Reply

Way to take the lead on being Green Eco!

4. Junk Removal San Diego April 4, 2013 at 7:27 pm - Reply

Interesting blog post. I started my own junk removal business in San Diego and it is very different then opening a franchise. Both can be very successful if you know how to market correctly.

5. Gloria Durst August 24, 2017 at 9:30 pm - Reply

Your comment on how you should look for a licensed junk removal service makes a lot of sense. It would be a good idea to consider finding someone licensed because they are going to be experienced. In addition to this, you may want to talk with past clients to see what they think about the service.

6. Ashley Turns September 22, 2017 at 10:16 pm - Reply

Thanks for pointing out the fact that I should find a junk removal company that has an actual address and insurance. The business I work for is looking for a new service to take care of our trash. I’ll be sure to let them know that we should find a junk removal company that has a local address we can visit to ask questions.

7. Nashville junk removal November 9, 2017 at 10:37 am - Reply

Yes, if a right Junk removal service provider is not hired, he can do worse by putting junks here and there. I always check for their license before hiring such services.

8. Ridley Fitzgerald January 18, 2018 at 11:24 pm - Reply

It’s good to know how to find a junk removal company. I like how you said that illegal ones will just dump the trash in the street. That’s not what I want to happen, so when we do our home remodel, I’ll be sure to find a reputable company.

9. Hannah Neilson April 20, 2018 at 8:41 pm - Reply

I agree that you need a licensed junk removal service. It would be smart to check their qualifications because this would show their experience as well. My sister needs help cleaning out my mom’s house after she passed, so she’ll have to find a good junk removal service to help.

10. Hannah Neilson April 26, 2018 at 10:03 pm - Reply

I like your tip about considering if a garbage removal is licensed. It would be smart to consider this beucase it would show that they are qualified. My husband and I need help cleaning our garage, so we’ll have to check their license.

11. Millie Hue May 30, 2018 at 5:22 am - Reply

Thanks for pointing out that a reliable company has licenses and insurances, and they also have an address that people can actually trace. I appreciate that you encourage us to check the credentials. With that in mind, I will make sure to inspect their certificated first before hiring one. We will be hiring one because the renovation of our house is almost finished, and there is a lot of debris scattered all around. Thanks for the tips!

12. Millie Hue July 10, 2018 at 11:28 pm - Reply

Thanks for helping me understand that it is best to avoid companies that post advertisements illegally on poles or fences. Like you said, they might not be that caring to their customers. I guess I have to start looking at legitimate websites or their office instead to ensure that they value their business and their customers. We will need to hire one because we will have a renovation happening in our house next week, so there will be lots of debris and waste.

13. Gary Puntman September 25, 2018 at 3:27 pm - Reply

It’s definitely a good idea to find a company that offers good pricing, like you mentioned. They should also be responsible about the way they get rid of your trash, like you also said. I’ll definitely have to find a trustworthy and reputable company when I find someone to help me get rid of debris from my home renovation.